The Ministry Of Outreach
The purpose of The Ministry of Outreach is to communicate through words (spoken, printed, and multimedia) and actions (physical and financial) the good news of Jesus Christ to all people beyond the congregation’s membership.
In 2015, we participated in the ELCA's national day of service. Good Shepherd had many service opportunities scheduled throughout greater Cincinnati and at the church during the weekend of September 12-13. Over 200 people participated. See below for some highlights from this event.
GSLC's Outreach ministry comprises nearly 30% of our budget and includes the U.C. Campus ministry at the Edge House. In addition to financial support, Good Shepherd members give countless hours to multiple worthy organizations, many of which are listed below. Opportunities to serve are announced in Our Life Together and The Shepherd's Horn as well as on our website and through social media. Pastor Heidi would be happy to answer any questions and help you become connected with events that are of interest to you.
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Christmas Gift Program – benefits multiple worthwhile organizations
- Community Respite Event – volunteer to help care for children with special needs and/or their ‘typical’ siblings while the parents have a much-needed evening out
- Coupons For Charity – purchase items deeply discounted to donate to charity; clip coupons; send expired coupons to military
- First Lutheran in Over-The-Rhine: Serve community meals, help with renovations and upkeep
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hands Against Hunger (formerly Kids Against Hunger) Week, including a euchre tournament, old-fashioned bingo, silent auction and bake sale.
- Hope House Transitional Housing Ministry
- Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
- Larry’s Legacy
- Matthew 25 Ministries
- Mission work/ ELCA Disaster Response
- Neediest Kids Of All (through 55+ Club)
- Northeast Emergency Distribution Services, aka NEEDS
- One Way Farm (through 55+ Club)
- Operation Christmas Child (through MOPS)
- Pastors’ Discretionary Fund: Almost every day, our church is contacted by one or more people who are in need of help with food, medicine, clothing, transportation or housing. Thousands of dollars in extra donations of money and supermarket gift cards from both congregation members and non-members help augment our budget and capabilities for helping people in need. Over 200 families have received aid in the last year!
- Peaslee Center (through Peace Circle)
- Sunday School Stewardship
- Support Our Troops – Christmas comfort & care packages
- Taft Elementary Adopt-A-Class Ministry
- The Edge @ UC : The Lutheran Campus Ministry at the University of Cincinnati, which we refer to as “The Edge @ UC Campus Ministry,” is the major Outreach ministry undertaken by Good Shepherd. UC students are offered an opportunity to eat & commune, called NOSH, on Sunday evenings. Due to the congregation’s faithful stewardship and support, we are able to fully fund this important ministry that, under Pastor Alice’s leadership, is touching the lives of hundreds of UC students and staff each month.
- The Hunger Action Team (HAT), including Shepherd’s Market, Christmas Gift Jars, and charity walks
- Financial Support Only: The Outreach Ministry budget also supports organizations and ministries with financial support without offering a program within the congregation. The main recipients of these budgeted funds are: Interparish Ministry, Tanzania Missionary Rev. John Lunn, Graceworks (Lutheran Social Services), Lutheran Outdoor Ministries of Ohio, Camp Luther, Roselawn (Ohio) Health Ministries, Peace Lutheran (Slidell, LA), Sweeten Life Systems, Oesterlen Services for Youth, ELCA/Southern Ohio Synod, and the ELCA World Hunger Appeal.
- Additional Fundraising: Good Shepherd is a very generous congregation! In addition to all of the time and resources given to the above ministries and programs, the congregation donates thousands of dollars when special needs arise. Examples include $1,000+ to our ELCA Malaria Campaign, $7,987 to Superstorm Sandy Disaster Relief,$1800 for typhoon victims and $1000 for Illinois tornado relief. There are other outreach activities conducted by other ministries within our church, and our congregation is always there to support them also.
- Dine For Donations - Expenses for youth summer mission trips are offset through fundraisers in addition to rummage sales