Good Shepherd was begun in 1953 by a group of hearty Lutherans living in Norwood that wanted to establish a new church far away from all the city traffic! That vision led to the creation of what is now the area's largest Lutheran church located near the busiest intersection in Cincinnati! The almost 1400 current members continue to benefit from the vision of the founding members who set out in faith without knowing where the path would lead.
The congregation has long been known for its radical generosity, using up to 30% of its financial resources for outreach to the community, nation and world. Numerous outreach ministries, such a transitional housing program, a strong partnership with The Eastside Coalition of Habitat for Humanity, giving aid to scores of area residents in need of help with food, housing or medicine, have been the hallmark of the congregation since its inception.
Good Shepherd's strong lay and professional leadership has paved the way in initiating many new ministries that strive to bring the hope and love of Christ to the community. In 2008, for example, the congregation took over leadership for the Lutheran Campus Ministry at the Universithy of Cincinnati. With the advent of the ministry at the University of Cincinnati, Good Shepherd is now a multi-site congregation.
In the 1970's Good Shepherd established the following purpose statement: To make Word and Sacrament available to the greatest number of people possible. That purpose has been what drives our ministry for the past forty years. As we embrace our new purpose statement (above) our future continues to follow in the footsteps of those who started the church in 1953 by being willing to step out in faith in order to grow the Kingdom of God.